Is it possible to return youth to a face: the opinion of scientists
This article is for those who want to know the whole truth about how to prevent mimic wrinkles and rejuvenate their face at home. Let's try to look at the problem truthfully, without advertising and pseudoscientific advice.
Today, everyone, especially women, is obsessively concerned with the aging of the skin on their face. Although, to be honest, one should worry first of all about the aging of the body. After all, it is clear to everyone that a beautiful appearance is far from an indicator of health and longevity.
The entire modern beauty industry is built on the pursuit of youth. We see endless advertisements for miraculous and instant rejuvenation products.
What woman would refuse to become 5-10 years younger?! At the same time, they do not think about the contradiction, why cosmetic campaigns have found a way to rejuvenate, but scientists have not yet offered us such means.
Scientific research in this direction is constantly going on, and scientists know how to stop the aging process, but how to reverse it - this has not yet been achieved.
And therefore, it is best to focus on preventing the appearance of wrinkles, rather than dealing with those that have already appeared. And you need to start from youth.
The beauty campaigns are misleading us
Manufacturers convince us that magic rejuvenation occurs due to natural products and antioxidants included in their means. We all believe in the natural and do not always trust the artificial, although science does not confirm this. It happens and vice versa.
Particular attention is paid to antioxidants in anti-aging products. We hear and believe it that antioxidants neutralize free radicals, keeping cells young and this is true. But with one caveat: free radicals destroy cells only when there are too few or too many of them.If they are normal, then antioxidants do not help, but harm health.
In most cases, with the help of anti-aging products, you can get a visible effect of skin rejuvenation, but this is most likely temporary. Scientists believe that the main cause of skin aging is damage to collagen fibers: the appearance of cross-links in them.This is mainly due to the processes of glycation and photoaging.
They still do not know how to eliminate these fiber disorders, although there is an active search for methods. Therefore, efforts are aimed at preventing or slowing down their occurrence and thereby prolong the youthfulness of the skin. How to do it right from the point of view of science, read on.
How to prolong the youthfulness of our skin: 5 important rules
To prevent and slow down the formation of mimic wrinkles on the face, you need to adhere to a certain lifestyle, diet and some rules of skin care. Most of them are familiar to us, but the bottom line is that you need to adhere to them constantly, only this will give us the desired result.
Protect your skin from photoaging
Under the influence of solar radiation collagen breaks down very quickly. An increased concentration of free radicals accumulates in the dermis. As a result, early expression lines and pigmentation appear. There is a lot of scientific evidence about the harmful effects of solar radiation on the skin. To avoid this, skip tanning and always use a UV protected (SPF) daytime product on your face.
Take Vitamin D Instead of Tanning
Vitamin D is essential for our body and skin as well. It is formed in skin cells by exposure to sunlight and is also ingested with food. Thanks to it, mineral metabolism in the body is regulated, muscle tone is increased, the protective membranes of cells are restored, immunity is increased, and much more.
However, aging skin loses its ability to synthesize this active substance from sunlight. This active substance is especially lacking in the autumn-winter period and in the northern latitudes. Therefore, to maintain your youth, take this vitamin regularly.
Protect your skin from UV radiation all year round
As beneficial as tanning is as a source of vitamin D, very often the sun's rays harm our skin and cause premature aging.
SPF (Sun Protection Factor) - components in cosmetics that absorb sun rays. SPF is indicated on the packaging of creams, sprays and lotions and is designated from 5 to 100. The higher this figure, the more the skin is protected from the harmful effects of ultraviolet radiation. It is best to use protection from 45 to 100.
Eat a healthy diet
No matter how commonplace, nutrition is one of the main factors in preventing aging. Avoid sweets first, as high sugar is the first step to wrinkles. And this influence is especially detrimental after 30 years.
Incorrect products include:
- sweets, honey, sweet fruits, juices, flour - everything that has a high glycemic index;
- fried and baked, chips, fried potatoes, barbecue - everything that is heat-treated above 120 degrees;
- dairy products, excluding butter.
Take mono-vitamins and anti-aging medications
We offer vitamins and some medicines that effectively fight the formation of glycated proteins and prevent expression wrinkles.
It is not vitamin complexes that are taken, but individual vitamins, without mixing with any others, so as not to destroy the effect of their effect:
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine)
- Vitamin B3 (nicotinic acid)
- Vitamin B6 and Magnesium
- Vitamin D3
Women over 40 are advised to take the following medicines, naturally after consulting a doctor:
- Medication for type 2 diabetes.
- Antibiotic that prolongs life and fights glucose in the blood. To avoid pigmentation, do not sunbathe while taking!
Antioxidantsare very popular in anti-aging medications. Please note: preparations with antioxidants protect the skin from photoaging, but they are powerless in the fight against glycation.
Smoking leads to the formation of expression lines and worsens the complexion. When smoking, tobacco smoke directly affects the skin of the face, from which it dries and becomes irritated.
And the main thing: in smokers, the synthesis of an enzyme that destroys collagen is triggered in the body. The skin loses its firmness and elasticity.
Several ways to prevent skin aging
- Adequate sleep is the key to youthful skin. You need to sleep at least 7-8 hours a day, because it is during sleep that new collagen fibers are synthesized.
- Protect your skin from external influences and substances that carry free radicals, for example, from combustion and smoking products, household soot.
- Active movement and physical education. The most useful are running, swimming, aqua aerobics, cycling - they help fight inflammation in the skin, thereby keeping collagen fibers normal.
- Use HRT. After 40 years, the synthesis of female hormones-estrogen decreases. And this is the reason for the rapid aging of the whole body and skin. Taking hormonal drugs helps to keep the skin supple, hydrated and thicker.
What to do when the wrinkles on the face have already appeared?
Above you have learned about the means that help slow down the rate of skin aging. But even if wrinkles have already appeared, this does not mean that you need to retreat. And although science can not yet offer us the available means in order to turn back the clock, there are ways that significantly improve the appearance and even temporarily rejuvenate.
- Skin hydration - reduces facial wrinkles. To do this, you need to drink clean water up to 1. 5-2 liters daily. This is in many cases more beneficial than moisturizers.
- After 40-50 years, when the production of estrogen in women decreases, the skin dries up, becomes thinner and no longer retains moisture. She needs good hydration. For this, there is an effective proven remedy - coconut oil.
- Chemical peels and botulinum injections - help to temporarily smooth and remove expression lines. These methods are safe for the skin and have been scientifically proven to be effective. Botulinum toxin injections are widely used to rejuvenate the appearance and are performed in cosmetic clinics and salons. The effect lasts up to six months. Chemical peeling with acids is used for the face and neck. After it, the production of collagen and elastin increases in the skin and the skin becomes more elastic and youthful. For men, shaving is such a peel, so the skin of men, as a rule, looks younger than that of a woman.
- Salads in your daily diet are a great way to rejuvenate your body. Eat more green salad, cucumbers, raw carrots, cabbage, bell peppers and celery seasoned with olive oil.
People's advice on home care for their appearance largely echoes the opinion of experts. Masks for moisturizing and nourishing the skin, regular cleansing and toning, combined with a healthy lifestyle, help to keep the face young for longer.
Why is our skin aging and can we fix it?
Skin aging is a natural biological process and one of the first visible signs of aging throughout the body.
But withering is often accelerated by the environment and our way of life. In this article, we will discuss the various signs and symptoms of external aging and show you how to change the situation to help your skin slow down this process.
Very often in the fight against withering, we focus our attention on hiding or reversing the changes that have already happened. In fact, you need to focus on how to stop aging. Understanding how the needs of your skin change as you age will enable you to keep it in the best condition for as long as possible.
Signs of Facial Aging
The skin is subjected to heavy wear and tear every day, as it is the most vulnerable organ of our body. They serve as the first line of defense against extraneous irritants and can easily get injured.
The good news is that the skin is fully capable of repairing itself through cell renewal. This involves removing dead and damaged epidermal cells from the surface to expose fresh new layers underneath.
However, the production of collagen, the main structural protein that makes up the skin, decreases with age. Without enough collagen, the regeneration process slows down and cells cannot maintain their youthfulness.
Signs of aging are indicated by such manifestations as dull and uneven shade of the epidermis, dryness and roughness, fine lines and wrinkles, loss of elasticity and volume of the skin, hyperpigmentation and bruising. Do not be surprised, but such wilting can begin as early as 20-25 years.
The main causes of early skin aging
Next, we will consider external factors that cause premature aging of the skin:
solar radiation, stress, alcohol, smoking, unhealthy diet and strict diets, poor hygiene in skin care, poor ecology and weather, sedentary imagelife. Consider how this happens and what specifically affects the wilting and disease of the skin.
Photoaging of facial skin
Photoaging refers to damage to the skin associated with prolonged and repeated exposure to high energy waves emitted by the sun.
Exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light is a significant cause of early aging.
UV rays on contact with the skin cause damage to DNA, and this leads to the emergence of cellular defenses in the form of sunburn, freckles and, ultimately, sunburn. Damaging UV radiation consists of two types of wavelengths: UVA and UVB. Let's consider how they affect the health of the skin.
UVA - long-wave rays of the sun, which make up 95% of all ultraviolet radiation reaching the Earth's surface. They are not a hindrance, no clouds, no glass of windows and cars, no dark time of the day, no cold seasons. Getting on the skin, UVA rays penetrate into the dermis and affect its cells, damaging, first of all, collagen fibers.
Scientists have proven that under their influence, changes in the structure of DNA can occur, which causes cell mutation. The main consequences of ultraviolet radiation are photoaging and skin cancers. Therefore, it is necessary to protect the skin with UV filters at any time of the year.
UVB - medium-wave solar rays, they account for only 5% of total solar radiation, but their influence is significant. UVB rays are especially active in summer, from about 10 am to 4 pm. They do not penetrate glass and clouds, but they easily pass through water. UVB rays do not cause painful sensations, but they penetrate deeply into the dermis. With prolonged exposure, they cause sunburn and also increase the risk of skin cancer and other damage to cells.
Remember that not only the sun is the source of ultraviolet light, but also the tanning bed.
Let's turn to another factor of skin aging - blue light HEV. Most of this light is emitted by the sun and electronic devices such as mobile phones, televisions and computers. Their effect is about 10% of photoaging. Prolonged exposure to HEV can promote collagen and elastin breakdown of the skin and hyperpigmentation.
Habits that make you age faster and look older
Many lifestyle habits accelerate skin aging.
First of all, it is alcohol, which dehydrates the entire body, including the skin. Lack of moisture leads to dryness, fine lines and wrinkles.
Smoking, due to the ingress of nicotine and many other chemicals into the body, impairs blood flow to the outer layers of the skin, thereby depriving it of oxygen and much-needed nutrients. Constant exposure to nicotine and the chemicals in cigarette smoke damages collagen and elastin. These fibers are essential for youthful texture, elasticity and radiance of the skin.
Smoking often results in wrinkles around the mouth (smoker's lines) and in the corners of the eyes (crow's feet). You have probably noticed how smokers, when inhaling cigarette smoke, constantly purse their lips, squint so that the smoke does not get into their eyes, as a result, deep folds and wrinkles on the face can form.
Stress-induced skin aging
Emotional stress can lead to a steady increase in the amount of cortisol, the stress hormone, in the body. Cortisol can break down collagen and elastin in the skin, resulting in sagging and wrinkled skin. Elevated cortisol levels can also lead to hair loss and acne. Constant overwork, poor or insufficient sleep leads to the same.
Products that accelerate skin aging
Scientists have shown that eating foods high in processed sugars also contributes to early wilting. The action of dietary sugars on the skin is mediated by glycation, a reaction between sugars and skin proteins (collagen fibers and elastin) to form advanced glycation end products (AGEs).
The accumulation of AGE leads to the loss of protein function and elasticity of the skin, and also increases the damaging effect of UV radiation on the skin. The effect of AGEs is irreversible because the human body does not have enzymes that remove AGEs.
Various diets also lead to wilting, which always limit something, and the skin needs full and balanced nutrition, like the whole body.
Proper skin care
When caring for your face, you need to adhere to the main rule - regularity. Second rule: care should be appropriate for your skin type. Third: facial care should be comprehensive, using various cosmetic procedures and products.
Bad ecology kills the epidermis
Weather phenomena in the form of precipitation, low or high temperatures, dry air, various harmful substances that air and water may contain are detrimental to the skin. She lacks cleanliness, air, moisture, her pores are clogged with dirt and slags. Otherwise, she gets sick, gets old and dies. And here again, hygiene in care, proper nutrition, hydration and daily cleansing are important.
Tips to slow down skin aging
- Top tip: Take good care of your skin and protect or avoid factors that accelerate aging.
- Wearing a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher daily is an essential habit for healthy skin. Introduce it into your care as early as possible for a long-term anti-aging effect.
- Avoid sun exposure, seek shade wherever possible, and protect your skin with clothing and a wide-brimmed hat.
- Do not sunbathe in a solarium or in the open sun.
- Avoid smoking and drinking too much alcohol.
- Stay hydrated and drink enough water to keep your skin healthy.
- Dry skin tends to show signs of aging faster in the form of dullness and lines. Moisturizers and emollients will help. Some ingredients, like hyaluronic acid, will provide superior hydration to the skin with regular use.
- Activity and exercise also have an indirect effect on slowing aging by reducing overall stress, slowing down oxidative stress and improving well-being. However, please note that when exercising outdoors, you are exposed to the sun throughout your life. So don't forget about protection.
- Skin is more likely to wilt if the diet is high in fat, processed foods, and simple sugars (carbohydrates). These foods often cause inflammation, which accelerates early aging. To maintain vitamin and antioxidant levels, eat a diet high in vegetables and fruits.
- Constant hydration of the epidermis is vital to smooth fine wrinkles and improve skin elasticity. Apply a few drops of an antioxidant serum, tailored to your skin type, in the morning to help get rid of free radicals caused by UV damage and impurities. Vitamin C serums are the most common products on the market.
- For evening grooming, include retinol products to help exfoliate cells and replenish regularly. Retinol also helps reduce fine wrinkles and brightens the epidermis. Be sure to apply a moisturizer at night to replenish water loss and restore skin's barrier function.
- Vitamin E can be seen as a beneficial antioxidant to combat dullness and pigmentation in the skin when combined with other antioxidants. Rub in vitamin E oil before bed to moisturize and rejuvenate your face.
- Recall the importance of good sleep. Getting enough sleep is one way to prolong your skin's youthfulness. Chronic sleep deprivation can accelerate the onset of signs of skin aging and impair the skin's ability to repair itself from sun damage or oxidative stress.
You cannot control your genes and the natural aging process of your skin. However, you can slow this down by controlling external factors.
External aging is strongly influenced by the environment, such as sunlight and pollution, as well as lifestyle, including diet and stress levels.
Hence, it is vital to avoid sun exposure, exercise daily and refrain from smoking, among other things, to prevent premature skin aging.
This must be followed by a rigorous epidermal care regimen, as well as a healthy lifestyle and dietary changes to improve collagen synthesis and overall skin health.